Monday, February 14, 2011

Blog Fade, Cache Fade, and Resurrection - Part 1

Whether you are (were) a long-time subscriber to this site or are a new visitor here, you will no doubt notice that the post just prior to this one was dated over two years ago (2 years 147 days to be exact). As you have no doubt guessed, this site was a tragic victim of "blog fade" - the fictional blogging condition where blog authors gradually stop posting to their blogs and often abandon their blogs entirely over a period of time.

Sadly, if you look at my cache stats on my geocaching profile, you'll notice a very similar trend there too. When I first began geocaching in 2005, I found 168 caches that year. Since then, my cache finds have steadily decreased to almost none in 2010 (only 1 traditional and 3 virtuals at Disney World).


The good news is this - I'm back!  Of course I can't say how long I'll be back, but in just the first few weeks of 2011, I've already found 15 caches.  If you need help with the math from the chart above, that is the same number of cache finds for 2009 and 2010 combined!  While that total may not be very many for most geocachers, it is tremendous amount in a short period of time compared to the last 4 years for me.

So in the spirit of my return to geocaching, I decided to resurrect my Adventures in Geocaching blog too!

3 comments:

Mike Davis said...

Huzzah! Welcome back. Maybe the GeoGoes will show up in 2011, too.

Ordinary Hiker said...

My Blogging, Caching, and Letterboxing seriously suffered when I:

A. Got a new position at my company.
B. Started to look into buying my first house.

It's a struggle, but with the house hunt wrapping up nicely, I'm gonna get back into the groove. I miss getting out on the trails (or the streets).

I totally feel ya on the Blog fade. I've been checking out your blog, and it's awesome.

I decided I had way too many interests jammed into one blog, but if you'd like, check me out on BenderOak.com for some of my earlier caching adventures. I just started my new blog Leftovers4dinner, and I hope to share Geocaching on it as well as you have on your blog! :)

Unknown said...

I did the same thing! We must have been in Geo-Limbo together. :-)

Dorothy
For Books – http://alaskanbookie.blogspot.com/
For Chocolate – http://alaskanchocoholic.blogspot.com/
For GeoCaching - http://alaskancacher.blogspot.com/
For All Three – http://twitter.com/AkChocoholic

Post a Comment